Saturday, 19 March 2011

...mmm....yarn.......

I went up to Olympia yesterday for the Stitch and Craft Show. Just wanted a few things and good nose around by way of a warm up for venturing to the BIG show at Alexandra Palace in the Autumn. I'm not a great show goer as I have unreliable legs, but thought I'd give it a whirl.
Had a list.
Kept to the list.
List had on it the magic words "really lovely yarns'.
I wasn't sure I'd find a huge amount of knitting stuff there, but I found enough to keep me in that happy trance-like state familiar to all knitters when they see and stroke 'really lovely yarns'. I was very tempted by a stall selling alpaca- the yarn was glorious, but all grey,cream and brown and grey,cream and brown, much though I love them, make me look like a bowl of porridge these days.
Then I spotted this stuff.

Nice eh?
I broke my 'only 100% wool/natural fibres' rule as I loved it so much.


Should have taken a photo of it in the skein but I was so eager to ball it up ready to knit, the ball will have to do.

And look at the needles I got to knit it with.

mmmmm.
I also found some rather nice beads


and oh, gosh how fabulous are these sequins?


AND you would not believe the softness of this beautiful cotton hand-dyed embroidery yarn, perfect colours for a little quilt I'm planning.


Oh and look, my absolute favourite space-dyed threads for hand quilting, made by Valdani and supplied by The Calico Cat.

I have had a very good tidy of all the crafty stuff today which gave me plenty of excuses for a lot of "mmmm....yarn....." moments. Really must finish the scarf I'm making before I begin the next one.
Did I mention silk threads?
No?
Well, here they are.

How keen am I to start using them for my jewellery? VERY. You can see more of them here.
An exhausting but inspiring day; the show was ok, if you were a serious cross stitcher or constant card maker I'm sure you would have been overwhelmed with joy. Me? I'm happy with the things I found: there were enough stalls with stuff on my list and I've found some really good new suppliers of special and unusual haberdashery, but now I'm looking forward to the Autumn....more lovely yarn....mmmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment