Monday, 25 April 2011

here are some I grew earlier




I can't resist a Hippeastrum ( Amaryllis).


I have,if I am honest, rather too many and they take up most of my conservatory.


Very easy to look after, some of my bulbs are over 20 years old.I find they like to be crowded but with deep root room so when the bulbs have baby bulbs I leave the babies with the parent to get clusters of glorious trumpets when they bloom in Spring.


They don't like to be too cold in winter, but need some cold to set the flower inside the bulb.


They also dislike being too wet, so I no longer put them outside in Summer as I had a problem with bulbs rotting and,inevitably, slugs and snails find the bulbs absolutely irresistible and will wiggle down inside and eat the whole of the bulb leaving just the papery outside layer...nice!


This is the first group of blooms, more will follow over the next week or so.
I fear way too much time can be spent in the conservatory just gazing upon them.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, are't they fabulously blowsy? I love the pale one and the stripey one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That last stripy Amaryllis is particularly superb! It looks like you're an Amaryllis expert! Fabulous display. Love Vanessa xxx

    ReplyDelete