I've been busy making several of these 'kimono' cases to hold templates and rules for patchwork/sewing, this has been eating up lots of my time lately. I made the first one some years back, making it up as I went along. I did a class with my sewing friends that taught me how to do the kimono. So I had a kimono and nothing to use it for...I also had some lovely Japanese fabrics and various templates and rulers that needed somewhere to keep them tidy and carry them about, so I fashioned a 'tea house' for the kimono as the front of the case and then created the rest to hold my bits and bobs. Lately I've been having quite a bit of excitement as Lady Sew and Sew asked me to teach a class making the case, so I've been spending days and days working out instructions, refining the design, titivating and changing the kimono and making different versions of it. There is the world of difference between making something up as you go along and creating foolproof instructions for someone else to make it from scratch. I have lots of different kimonos now, some pretty disastrous, and I'm on version three of the case, which I think will be the final one:
I taught some brave ladies to make it the other week and will be teaching it again next year, which is very exciting, and there is one more to come... a fourth version and I must photograph every stage....more about that when the time comes.