Thursday, 19 January 2012

Busy January

This month is racing by...the last couple of days I have been working on a design based on this quilt.


It needs to be similar, but achievable in a day for a class. The original quilt design takes WAY more than a day- just the central leaf applique takes that long to do as it is hand stitched on, stuffed, then the background is quilted.


So, I've reduced the size to an 18" square, large enough for a cushion cover if you only want to make one, but if you make four you can have a knee quilt. I will design four different versions of the largest leaf so you can make four different blocks, sash them together and hey presto, your Autumn Leaves knee quilt. Here's a (very) rough version of how it might look.

Now making the design up in various fabrics so people can see how it will look made up, started with Batiks. Not a fabric range I usually consider, but I rather like the way it has worked out.


Tomorrow, Jo Morton fabrics and brushed cottons. I'm teaching the class at Lady Sew and Sew in April, so still some time to make adjustments and more 'show and tell' examples...back to the cutting board now....

3 comments:

  1. Good grief, in just one day? That is going some...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, got to design something that can be made in a few hours by a class, so I have to time myself and ensure it can be done in under that time,as I'm quite fast at sewing...

      Delete
  2. What a marvellous quilt! And I can see, so much work, but worth the labour, it's very effective, wonderful! Love Vanessa xxx

    ReplyDelete