Tuesday, 7 February 2012

Brrrrrrrrrrrr....

I'm glad I'm not a plant on days like this.



Lovely sunshine yesterday so I went for a walk into town. I was looking in the Charity Shops for wooden knitting needles to customise- no luck there- but I did get these beauties for a bargain price. Embroidery frames. Embroidery frames in three different sizes....joy. I have a really big one, but some little lap-sized ones...already thinking what I can do with them.


Then some sewing, panel number 3 for the Leaf Quilt. This version made with what I think of as 'Greengrocer" fabrics- fabrics with pictures on them or a theme, these being Autumn themed. Outlined the leaves on this one with machine embroidery, not sure if I prefer the look of hand stitching to the machine, more fun to do hand stitching, but I quite like the tiny machine stitches, especially done in a silky thread so they show up nicely, though not in these photos- too gloomy for focussing properly...


Now for the big push to make the whole quilt up in brushed cottons, this is when I discover if my idea of making it piece by piece, quilting and embroidering as I go, then sashing it together, will work. Fingers crossed.


Very cold again outside last night and not much warmer this morning, the snowdrops and hellebores in the garden are lying down on the ground, they were standing up in the sunshine yesterday, astonishing how they recover after being repeatedly frozen.


Sewing inside in the warm for me today, though when I go outside to re-fill the bird feeders and warm up their water the air is full of the chattering of Fieldfares and the odd mewing sound of Redwings. Since Friday small flocks of them are flying back and forth all day long on the hunt for berries, I'm hoping they will stop off on my pyrocanthus and conteasters: two Black Caps arrived at the weekend and are slowly stripping berries from my shrubs, starting with the smallest, the purple berries on the calycarpa then moving to the orange pyrocanthus. Watching them from the comfort of a blanketed window sill is Team Tabby. They keep asking to go out, I open the door, they do a smart u-turn and give me an "are you mad?" look. I always enjoy the way cats will try all doors just in case the weather is better at one of them. Today it most certainly is not!

No comments:

Post a Comment