Wednesday, 9 May 2012

A Daunting Task

Yesterday morning I set to in my pyjamas, started before I had the time to put it off any longer...yes, the moment had arrived to start tidying and cleaning my desk and painting/craft/sewing stuff. For weeks now I have been walking into the room, looking at my desk and hastily turning away, telling myself that the big chaotic pile of random stuff "needed" to be there as it was stuff I was "working on".  Who was I kidding? When not in the mood it is a miserable task, but when one wakes on a morning in the mood for a cleaning, tidying, sorting day it really is rather enjoyable, especially when it is finished. I'm being sensible about it- no way will I get the bookshelves sorted properly...but the desk can certainly be much more organised. I really should have taken 'before' photos so I could compare the end result. I got the desk tidy, then was distracted by the garden as the weather was unexpectedly lovely,  so part of the garden got tidied too- the first of my new raised beds filled with soil, planted up...

 
 ...new 'flower pot' hedgehog houses and a log pile put into the hedge behind it.

 

 The hedgehogs currently live under the shed, which will be dismantled, so new accommodation needs to be provided for them. Old plant pots raised on bricks with a hedgehog doorway, tile to stop the rain getting in, nicely sheltered from the weather and surrounded by leaf mould, twiggy bits, piles of stones, piles of logs and other insect/hedgehog food-friendly habitats.

 

I'm very excited about the raised beds- after several years of an increasing struggle with the garden I've admitted defeat, finding it near impossible to garden at ground level nowadays, so the thought of having everything within easy reach again is thrilling. 

 

We're building the beds one by one, shifting plants as we go. A bag of bulbs that has been sitting in the shed for over a year finally got planted- I could almost hear the little wizened things sighing with pleasure as I popped them in the soil. The Big Brown Bulb Bag of Guilt is emptied at last.



 But with every up comes a down...I turned my attention to my cut and come again salad leaves. Salad leaves carefully nurtured in the conservatory until large enough to plant out in the cold frame last Thursday, salad leaves that when checked on Saturday morning were looking most promising, salad leaves that were most carefully left with just a little chink of cold frame open so air would circulate and yet they would stay cosy.
 Rita likes to dig. Rita digs for the sheer pleasure of digging. Rita's preferred digging medium being lovely soft potting soil or freshly turned earth. Rita can dig holes a foot deep when she gets the bit between her teeth.
A scene of utter desolation met my eyes. One half of the cold frame was a large hole, the other half a large pile of soft soil containing battered salad leaves. One single, sad lettuce plant was the only reminder of the serried ranks of different types of salad leaves that had been there 48 hours earlier. I replaced the lid, leaving just a chink, and watched as Rita jumped up and s-q-u-e-e-z-e-d herself flat through the tiny gap. Absolutely no point re-planting the lettuce. I'll stick to tidying.


 Note the weather today when I took photos . Goodness, can that possibly be some more RAIN?

1 comment:

  1. I can imagine your utter disappointment over the lettuces. So sad.

    I am jealous of your hedgehogs, there was a juvenile one here several years ago but I don't think I have any now.

    ReplyDelete