Thursday, 26 July 2012

Back Home

I've been away. Away in a place where it was sunny. A place in Northern Europe where it was warmer and sunnier and dryer than home. It also has lovely botanic gardens...




beautiful embroidery books - I've been after this one for ages - and a kit to teach me how to do it. I may have been a tad optimistic with this kit, it is rather complicated, but, hell, in for a penny...

 
  I love Sweden and always have a craft shopping list for when I go there. 

 

 Threads are usually on it, Swedish linen and Danish cotton threads: though, sadly, there are many fewer shops selling proper crafty sewing things than there were a few years back, but the Svensk Hemsljod Shop in Stockholm is always a pleasure to visit, lovely things to look at, mouthwatering threads,fabrics and wools and really delightful helpful staff. This time round my Desirable Craft Object to Bring Home With Me was a Blackbird. 

 

I saw these fabulous birds two years ago when I was last in the Hemsjlod shop in Stockholm and have been regretting not buying myself one ever since. In the Winter months I can get 13 or more Blackbirds visiting my back garden and I liked the idea of having one indoors with me to confuse them, they aren't the brightest of birds and have such wonderful zingy yellow rings around their slightly crazed eyes, they cheer me up no end. I didn't take a camera and at times, especially in the Hand Craft Show, I regretted that, but the sketchbook got pretty full by the end, loads of things to work on further.

 

 

 

 To see some pictures of the wonderfully inspirational Hemsjlod 100 Years show- google images "hemsljod  liljevalchs"- one room had loads of materials so you could make things, so I did.

At the nearby Nordiska Museet ( one of my all-time favourite museums) there was a big weaving show where you could try out weaving, watch weavers working on their looms and see some absolutely stunning woven fabrics.
Returned after a detour to Chichester for some plays- The Resisitable Rise of Arturo Ui and Kiss me Kate are both FABULOUS shows- but forget Heartbreak House. Beautifully produced, but the play just isn't worth it, a load of nonsense, annoying nonsense...oh how I wished I had left at the interval, the second half was torture. 

 Back home is best not dwelled on- European washing mountain after I stupidly suggested to my daughter that she bring home all her clothes and bedding as she was moving flat and I would wash and mend it all for her so she could then decide what stays and what goes...toilet cistern had gently leaked all over the floor whilst we were away ( quite proud that I mended it all by myself, well, me, a mallet and the limescale remover)...phone had died after a power cut on the day we left frazzled its tiny brain...the sewing machine mending man has left a note 
( as he couldn't get through on the phone) saying he is on holiday so my machine won't be done until he returns...oh and my car decided to go wrong on the way home, limped back, off to garage next week, if it can get there. Sounded expensive...and as for the tomato plants Sir swore blind he had given " a damn good soaking"...normal service resumed! Holiday? What holiday?

No comments:

Post a Comment