Saturday, 11 August 2012

Tula Pink hits the UK

The Olympics have rather passed me by, not a sport fan, I am finding quilty excitement this Summer instead. My chicken cushions will be at the NEC and the week after I shall be going to a workshop taught by the refreshingly inventive fabric designer and quilt maker Ms Tula Pink.
 



I've posted before about her lovely fabrics : sharp and subtle colours, shape-shifting surfaces, rich tones: there's elegance and a real individuality to her witty designs. She's over for the NEC Festival of Quilts and is teaching a workshop- just the one- while she is in the UK. She has a book of quilt designs out too- Quilts from the House of Tula Pink- and they are as inventive as her fabrics.


 If you can get to the workshop for August 22nd, move heaven and earth to do so, from radio interviews she sounds delightful- here's the link for the class, at Lady Sew and Sew in Henley-upon-Thames, Oxfordshire. See you there!

It is quite a Summer for new fabrics coming to the UK, another of my great quilting inspirations, Jane Sassaman, will be at the Quilt Show and her fabrics are to be on sale in this country for what is, I think, the first time. Her bold colours and patterns can make fabulous kaleidoscope effects and are also great for clothes/household sewing. I came across a couple of fat quarters of her fabric years ago in Holland- the two on the far left of this photo- I've not used them yet, I've been saving them for something really special. At last I shall be able to buy some new Sassaman fabrics to work with them, the only stockist in the UK  does mail order, so hurry while stocks last- the fabrics will be on display at the Quilt Show for the first time in the UK and Jane will be doing book signings and giving a talk on the Saturday- sadly, for me, on a day when I won't be there. But, I think I have enough excitement already.

No comments:

Post a Comment