Friday, 12 October 2012

One of life's hiccups

 It is so very annoying when the best laid plans go awry. I organised a flu jab for Tuesday this week, gave myself a few days with nothing much happening so if it made me feel pants it wouldn't matter and was looking forward to the treat of a trip to the Knit and Stitch Show at Ally Pally today. Remind me this time next year  that it is day three after a flu jab when it hits you and you feel absolutely rubbish. Congratulating yourself on day two that it hasn't affected you at all is premature. Been asleep most of the day- which pleased the cats no end, warm body in bed all day long? Perfect!
 To console myself for not going to the show I did get out some fabrics to stroke this afternoon- I know better than to sew anything when feeling bad, it only has to be re-sewn once normal service has been resumed. I have a few (!) projects in mind and sorting through the fabrics  in the sunshine with the cats beside me was pleasant...my list of things  to seek out at the show will just have to wait... though searching online is really not as good as seeing and feeling fabrics and haberdashery in the flesh.
 Yesterday, before falling asleep, I did finish the hand stitching on the last of the Christmas runners-photos to follow later- when I design something I make a prototype, which sometimes becomes the final design, sometimes gets adjusted: then I write instructions and re-make it, checking the instructions and measurements are correct. This means usually I end up with ( at least) two of everything, so I put the second runner together differently to ring the changes, added more ric rac and some luscious Swedish woven braid and tried out some new thread for the quilting.




 I've used Shashiko thread for hand embroidering and quilting in the past, which I love, and it works particularly well with softer fabrics- brushed cotton or homespun- as it has a soft, light twist to it which softens further with time. I also use perle, which is great with strong patterns. It has a nice sheen and a robust twist, but I've been looking for something in between to work with, a thread of the right thickness, cotton, a light twist and a sharp, not too shiny, finish. When I was down in Bridport a few weeks back I found a crochet thread at the expanded-into-a-back-room-with-added-home-made -CAKE Yarn Shop in South Street ( well worth a visit) that looked pretty good. Coats 'puppets' Eldorado No 10 - tried it out this week, loved it for quilting. Not too thick to go readily through the layers,  easy on the aged fingers, really smooth and sharp, held its twist to the end, no unravelling or fraying - a really nice thread to work with. The drawback to using crochet threads for quilting is the quantity it comes in- I'll need to do a LOT of embroidering/quilting to get through a whole ball- but the range of colours is great, it includes space-dyed threads ( my favourite) and I can see myself using this thread for all sorts of projects. It is a useful 'mid way' between the Shashiko and the perle- me, a thread nerd? If you think that, just wait until you hear me on the subject of pins... disappointingly, the Coats website doesn't have details of it. If you have visited their website, it is nice enough, with some lovely projects, but not very up-to-date on some of their products!
 Back to sofa, cats, blanket and 'Strictly' for me now.

6 comments:

  1. Poor you, I have never had a 'flu jab but I have had 'flu three times in my life. My surgery booked an appointment for me to have the jab tomorrow but I won't have it. I do dislike it when appointments are made for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have the jab TA-judging from the reaction I have had, this year's virus is pretty nasty, have that jab!x

      Delete
  2. Oh Kate, sorry to hear you didn't make it. There'll be other fairs. You take care.
    Hen x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks- I shall plan more carefully next October!x

      Delete
  3. Sorry to hear you have been poorly, have to agree with Toffeeapple, I had to have a flu jab some years ago because of my job, and then got flu that year and have never felt so ill!! So I don't bother now, I guess everyone reacts differently to the jabs!! I think you need some Bridport air, and another visit to Yarn Shop!!! Regards Heatherx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bridport air- in my dreams Heather-way too busy here to get off on a jaunt dammit!x

      Delete