Monday, 4 March 2013

Learning something new

http://images.npg.org.uk/264_325/6/5/mw02365.jpg 



 Today I was at the National Portrait Gallery and came across this wonderfully swashbuckling self-portrait by an artist called Isaac Fuller. Glorious piece of bravura painting. Naturally I wondered why I had not come across this splendidly theatrical fellow with an eye for a damn fine hat before. Reading the label it all became clear. Mr Fuller liked to drink. Mr Fuller liked to produce o.t.t. theatrical and rather fleshy works, not really appropriate for commissions from the church. Mr Fuller, it would seem, was his own worst enemy...I love being surprised by such larger than life characters from the sidelines of art history.



4 comments:

  1. What a hoot, Kate! Good to hear you've been out gallivanting. Did you know the fashion and textile museum is soon to stage an exhibition about Kaffe? Excitingamundo!
    Hen x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooh, I shall seek that out. He's a very busy boy these days.

      Delete
  2. I liked him from the moment I saw his hat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hat is lovely- he did some other paintings of himself in it- I can understand why, it is a stonker.

      Delete