Monday, 10 June 2013

Foxgloves

Every year I chuck foxglove seeds all over the garden from the previous year's best foxgloves, as with the poppies, every now and again I add in a seed packet of a nice variety to bring spice to the mix. Every year I wait to see what I've got.
 Always there some bog standard 'wild' type pink ones. This year I also got some dainty pure white,



some stonkingly strong, multi stemmed palest pink spotty ones,


and one of these...




 Foxgloves are prone to two sorts of mutations, one where the top flowers all merge into one giant bud, the other where petals are either just little strips or simply not there at all. This is an example of the latter, very healthy plant, many side shoots with flower spikes...just very little petal action! Apparently bees aren't shy of visiting the 'flowers' on such plants, so I shall leave it out of curiosity to see what my bees make of it- there is certainly plenty of pollen to be had, with easy access!

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful mutation, very splendid.

    Some years ago one of mine grew nine flower spikes, the flowers were white, quite lovely. The following year, a similar one started to grow and the idiot gardener strimmed it to the ground. I was highly miffed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I was out the council strimmed- very carefully and thoroughly- the wildflowers in the verge against my fence. Usually they leave it as they know I'm changing it from rubbish grass to flowers, I suspect it was a different bloke with the strimmers this time. He was at great pains to strim every last stem. Still cross a week later!

      Delete