Monday, 3 June 2013

Phew!

 Back again. Been a mad couple of weeks. Open Studio ... I knew my studio needed a thorough overhaul before anyone came into it- which means emptying those bookshelves again... then I had to go through the rest of the house preparing for a visit from my Great Nephews and family over Half Term at the same time sort out everything my Husband needed for his flat in Berlin (where he is working) as the movers were coming on Friday to take it all to Germany. Two weeks of turning the house upside down. Fitting in gardening and hospital visits in between. PHEW!
 This past weekend I have been at my local Open Air Museum publicising Open Studios, which start next weekend. Loads still to do in preparation, not least as I've been comprehensively waylaid by the house for the past two weeks...aaargh. But in between chatting to people this weekend at the Museum I managed a few little felty leafy sewn items, ready to become necklaces, photos later this week. Not had a moment to work on my applique quilt Cathy, feeling rather mournful about that, but all hands to the pumps next week to get some real progress on it and on some other projects that have been feeling a little left out. Whenever I get a bit cross with myself for not doing enough I remind myself that I have managed to reduce the UFO pile from four to a single quilt this year, done two new ones from scratch and worked out several new projects for classes, got back into lino cutting and done a lot of work on a Top Secret Project- I can so readily become demotivated by what I see as my failure to get EVERYTHING done RIGHT NOW this minute!
 The sun is shining today, still a brisk chill breeze, the hedgehogs were out last night- I won't share the  copious evidence, I did manage not to step in it, just- and the bees are going from strength to strength. The chimney colony is entering its eighth year, I would really miss them if they didn't make it through the Winter. Saw very few bees and all of them tiny, until this week, now loads of plump, shiny, busy bees all around the garden. I'm thinking of keeping a hive- a no-intervention and honey only if the bees have enough-type hive. Clearly, bees just like to left alone to get on with it, honey is a bonus, what is important is that there are bees and plenty of them



 Right up at the very top of my very tall chimney is the bees' nest. Those tiny specks are the bees coming and going.


They love the pond- they need the water to help build stuff in the hive, at the warmest part of the day today there were dozens of bees in and around the pond. Here are some of the plants they are visiting.






 They just love members of the onion family- just as well I do too- the honey must have a very oniony tang to it, with back notes of apple blossom and lavendar.



.


2 comments:

  1. So good to know that there are still bees around. I have some Solitary Mining Bees drilling holes in my lawn and I have seen
    several Buff Tailed Bumbles too. Fingers crossed for Honey bees.

    Enjoy Open Studios!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The local Beekeepers suggested they would only last 3 or 4 years, so leaving them alone to get on with it seems to work way better than messing about with them!

      Delete