Friday, 16 August 2013

Oh my! Half way through August...

 Two weeks flew by just then without a post...been pretty damn busy here. Busy making more felt necklaces in readiness for a proper revamp of my etsy shop, which, I am ashamed to say, I have been neglecting completely.


 Also been off to The Festival of Quilts, so some serious looking and fabric purchasing has gone on- got my three quilts for next year's show planned and the fabric ready. Will I avoid a last-minute speed-quilting frenzy? Also been organising and writing patterns as I have some projects in the pipeline for Popular Patchwork magazine. The first one will be the Indian Summer Runner, using fabrics from Kaffe Fassett's shots and stripes range and some of his ribbons.


 I really love ribbons and confess to having a box of them  that will 'come in useful one day' in my stash. They do get used, but the collection seems to manage to renew itself and sometimes even grow! 




Renaissance Ribbons in the USA have a glorious  range of ribbons that I have long admired from afar, at last some of them are available in the UK, so my box is rather more full than it was...I do enjoy using ribbon, fabric and buttons to cheer up dull clothes and give garments a new lease of life.





 It is very exciting that the Indian Summer runner is going to be in a magazine- I liked the fabrics very much- soft and buttery to feel and gorgeous to hand sew on. I like to piece by machine but quilt by hand as stroking the fabric and enjoying the weave is one of the real pleasures for me of working with textiles. Hand quilting makes you resist the temptation to 'over quilt' and allows the fabric to be soft and fluid. I really got quite fed up with the repetitive, formulaic and overblown machine quilting on many of the quilts at the Festival- some were quilted to the point of being rigid. Personally, I hate it! Machine quilting in skilled hands can be lovely, I'm thinking of the work on Tula Pink's quilts, but all too often it just gets taken too far for my taste, I like fabric to look and feel like fabric and quilts to drape.
 I've also been working on a painting commission- but more of that another time...must be off, work to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment